Got Insurance Repost from August 2008

Got Insurance? Repost from August 2008

Little People

One of the issues of having a child with a disability is making sure to have insurance to cover the massive medical tests and bills that come with such a child.

During Knoah’s first hospital confinement, in the flurry of paperwork, I filled out paperwork to get Knoah Medicaid. I don’t remember doing it, but he does have it.

So, when Will became unemployed, we also became uninsured. Although, to be fair, Will was told he would have insurance until the end of September. Then the having insurance ended up being a part of the “Release” they want him to sign. So, effectively, we are uninsured.

Illness and catastrophic medical crisis’s as most of us know can occur at anytime. One moment your breezing along life, then next your sitting in the emergency room waiting to be admitted to the hospital for one reason or another. All the specialists and doctor’s your child has seen in the past vanish and the torment of having to re-educate new ones seem daunting and cruel.

Now this raises the question, if you or your child is uninsured, what do you do?

Apply for Medicaid. Medicaid is a Federally and State supported insurance program that helps medically needy individuals attain the medical support they need.

Good health is important to everyone. If you can’t afford to pay for medical care right now, Medicaid can make it possible for you to get the care that you need so that you can get healthy – and stay healthy.

To find out if you or your child is eligible for Medicaid, please visit this website.

To find out what programs your state offers, click here.

In Knoah’s case, he is covered by Medicaid and State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).

Having at one time, three insurance policies, what our primary didn’t cover, it would fall to Medicaid and what Medicaid didn’t cover, SCHIP did. However, there are pitfalls to this.

In the case of Knoah TLSO brace. Our insurance would only cover 50% of the brace, which left approximately $1400.00 to be paid. Since Medicaid doesn’t cover Orthotics, SCHIP covered the rest, leaving us with no out of pocket expenses.

This is all fine and well, but where do you start? You need to visit your local Department of Human Services or DHS or Department of Health and Human Services to fill out the paperwork. From their they will guide you through the steps of the information you need to bring or supply them with to help them figure out what services your eligible for.

Now, for my rant…

I am SO not looking forward to finding new doctor’s for Knoah. Medicaid should cover most of his original doctor’s, but what if they don’t? I am going to project here:

Imagine…walking into the examination room, waiting for the doctor to come in. After what seems to be hours, they walk in. The examination starts with routine questions, the first of which is, “so, his chart says he has Ach..On……

Me: Achondroplasia

Doctor: Right, what exactly is that?

Me: Blank stare

Me: Explains Achondroplasia and physical features

Doctor: Yes, I have read about that, blah….

Exam starts

Doctor: His head is rather large, has anyone ever mentioned Hydrocephulas?

Me: Tilting head to the side, determining what I want to say:

  1. “Did you actually hear anything I just said or are you assuming just because I’m only a “mom” that I have no clue about my child’s condition or what complications can occur?”
  2. “Hydro…what? He’s 21 months old, of coarse I wouldn’t let him participate in a sport like that! That sounds dangerous! He can’t even swin yet!”

Me, wanting to opt for a refined version of the two…

Me: Yes, we know but according to his Geneticist’s his head is average amoung achons. I do have a question though, you don’t think water entered his ears and is now stuck in his head, do you?

Oh the TERROR of having these conversations again!

Not fun!

Several hours later….Well, there is good news, I just got off the phone with Dr. Pauli’s assistant, Casey and we are good to go!!!

WOO-HOO!! At least one of his doctor’s will not change! Such a relief!

Candi left a comment that I think will be helpful to some readers:

One thing I would add is that it seems that if you are anywhere near a teaching hospital, they will usually help you out and care for your child when achondroplasia is diagnosed whether you have the ability to pay or not. It seems that the doctors that really know about dwarfism and learn about the condition truly care that these kids get what they need above all else, including payments. There can be a little difficulty when it comes to testing, etc…because unlike doctors, hospitals want their money….but the doctors themselves seem to have no problem helping these kids with what they need. So, if your readers feel they are at a dead end and can’t seem to get help – find a teaching hospital with a doctor who treats kids with dwarfism….even if you have to drive a hundred miles to do it. They will find a way to help you.


YaYa to Bryan